On what does my “independence” depend?
- Being; created by the Creator
- Wholeness; formed, healed, renewed, sustained in the image of Christ
- Sense of purpose; ignited and enlightened by the Holy Spirit
- Musical thought and ability; born out of and built upon all the musicians before me, especially my teachers
- Vision of a teacher; examples of my parents and teachers
- Capacity to think; good genes, early nutrition and health in general, parents’ example, teachers’ coaching
- “Inner life”; good genes, God’s gifts (charisms), parents’ example, Holy Spirit
- Character strengths; parents’ example and early culture
- Continual contextual support from my husband
- Meaningful work
- Sufficient peace within my community
- Faithfulness of the community of Faith
I’m sure there are many more things I could list, especially infra-structures and persons responsible for them that allow my life-style to be what it is. In fact, I can’t really think of anything for which I could say I alone am responsible, except for my choices to say “yes” to life and to follow Christ. But even that is grace. God and the faith community give me the strength, discernment, and encouragement to make my best choices.