Things I need: things, qualities, anything that helps me enjoy living.
- Books, believing
- Coffee, cats, chocolate
- Freedom, faith, flowers
- Love, laughter
- Meaning, music
- No! (yes, I need “no” in my vocabulary, in my experience)
- Open-ness, open-views (figurative and literal)
- Peace, process, poetry, piano!
- Truth, tenderness
- Up (upward thinking/viewing and the notion of defying gravity)
- Value, veracity, validation
- Xeric plants! I love succulents! I love plants that grow despite little water!
- Zero (yes, the number and the notion of zero; I find it both mystifying and so practical it’s nearly banal.) I also like that (until the 20th century), there was no notion of zero in musical-math.
So, ask me on another day, and this list might have variations. And I realize “need” can be defined in many ways and the degree of need can be easily argued. For today, for this list, what I mean is: these are the things/ experiences/ values that I regularly treasure/ embrace/ consciously and deliberately choose as part of my (mostly daily) living and for which I am always grateful.
For a more starkly realistic list of what I truly need?
What all human-beings need:
- Love (somewhere, somehow, some experience of being loved/ valued and the opportunity to love other.)
- Some degree of shelter, some amount of food and water, some degree of personal hygiene, some opportunity for communication (even if only within one’s imagination)
- Meaning/ faith/ hope.
I think that’s probably all we need: sustenance for our bodies, relating for our social selves, hope for our souls.
Thanks be to God for all Your blessings, graces, mercies. Praise be Jesus forever. Lord, give me the grace to be ever-more grateful and gracious, ready to receive and to share.