Good foods I can eat as often as I like:
- Oats (I usually have 1/2 to 1 cup a day in a breakfast shake)
- Nuts (I don’t eat these enough because of cost)
- Seeds, especially Flax seed (I eat this as ground meal in my breakfast shake)
- Lentils (I like lentil soup; maybe there are other ways I would like this.)
- Eggs (I usually eat 2 or 3 hard-boiled yokes a day.)
- Tuna (I love tuna-fish! I should let myself have it twice a week!)
- Dark green veggies (I never have enough of these.)
- Avocado (Yum! I need to indulge in these more often!)
- Olives (I have never met an olive I didn’t like! Need more of these!)
- Berries (I should keep my freezer stocked w/ red berries for whenever I can’t get them fresh.)
- Apples (One a day!)
- Grapefruit (When I can get these in season, I should indulge frequently!)
- Bananas (I usually have 1 each day in my breakfast shake.)
My Favorite Foods:
- Mom’s mashed potatoes: she whipped them in her mixer, and they were always creamy; served with Mom’s turkey gravy
- Aroz Con Pollo, Mom’s recipe from Puerto Rico: Chicken breasts in rice with green olives and special herbs.
- Mom’s chicken casserole made with rice and green beans, creamy mushroom soup, and topped with cashews
- Kim’s steak: Dr. Kim and his wife made The World’s Best Steak Ever! It had to do with the marinade (their secret), and that it was served so simply in their home.
- Mom’s meatloaf! Yes, even meatloaf! If it’s Mom’s! Hers was a little bit sweet!
- Mom’s Sunday Pot Roast (classic and yumptious!)
- Mom’s creamy egg-salad sandwiches (She usually only made these for car trips.)
- Mom’s oatmeal bread, recipe from More With Less Cookbook; This! is Real bread!
- Mom’s Iced Tea, made from home-grown, fresh-brewed spearmint
- Mom’s Penny Royal Tea (hot)
- Now that I reminisce about great home-cooked food made from scratch, I realize that all my favorites are Mom’s recipes. The only meal I ever enjoyed as much as Mom’s cooking was Kim’s steak dinner.
- Is it too late for me to start cooking? I think I’d like to learn how to make a few of her marvelous meals.
Restaurant Signature Dishes and Deserts
- Bob Evan’s Coleslaw (Mom loved this too; even better than her own)
- Subway’s Tuna Foot-long on Flat-bread with lots of spinach, some green pepper and a little red onion
- Arby’s Jamocha shake (Oh yea!)
- Olive Garden Salad
- Tastee Freeze Butterscotch shake (sadly TF no longer exists!)
- Donato’s veggie pizza
- Vicario’s (of Bellefontaine) sweet sauce (this is The Best Pizza Sauce Ever!)
- Everything at a Turkish restaurant in Columbus: Cafe Istanbul
- Marie’s chocolates (not a restaurant, but HAVE to mention Marie’s! — world’s best)